PARK ROAD ASSOCIATION
FRIDAY, APRIL 19, 2019 AT 8:00AM
NOTE TAKER: MOLLIE COOK
Co-Presidents: Welcome & Urgent Business: Tracy Flater & John Paindiris
· We have a lot going on!
· Hopefully if you’re on facebook you’ve liked our page, you’ve signed up for our e-newsletter: if you haven’t, let us know so we can help you out!
· We are still looking for a Membership Chair
· We are still looking for more members for our subcommittees (Beautification, Parade Committee, Marketing, etc.)
Beautification Club: Steve Dewey
· Spring clean up walk is next Saturday, April 27
o Meeting at Playhouse at 8:45am
o All are welcome!
o Ideally we are looking for a minimum of 6 people per team, we have 4 teams but we are open to up to 6 teams
· Started fundraising campaign for the Knox planters again
o Currently half way to the 14 that we had last year
o This year a full planter is $275
o We are hoping to meet and even exceed our goal of 14 planters
o The town is getting a lot of press about the efforts of the business associations that are using the Knox Foundation
o K Enterprises is also helping to beautify some locations that want to have their properties spruced up, and then giving some of the money back to the Beautification Club
· Earth Day is Monday! (April 22)
o For Earth Day they are trying to do clean up of parks in town
o A couple of volunteer groups have started cleaning
o Members from Shop Rite will be doing a clean up at Kennedy Park on Monday
o There will be a tree planted!
o There will be a focus group in the fall involving a landscape architect at UCONN who is helping to revamp the parks; he’s getting students involved; members of the community will be invited as well
o Beachland Park hasn’t been assigned to any groups to clean up: Maybe a combination of Park Road & Elmwood volunteers can get a group over to clean up that area in the May timeframe
· October 10th: First annual 10 minute walk to a park: many people are within a 10 minute walk to a park! Hopefully we can also raise awareness of litter as part of that
· May 7: First fundraiser for the Club thanks to Plan B
o “Plant Herbs on Park” Tuesday, May 7, 6-8pm: https://www.facebook.com/events/371264433473125/
· Clean Sweep campaign: start & end your day with clearing your property of trash
· Next meeting: May 9, 4:30pm (Let Steve know if you’re interested in attending!)
· Not really beautification club specific, BUT:
o We have two designs: a grey ¼ zip with logo ($30) and a long sleeve burgundy tee ($20)
o We will have pre-order forms
o Hoping to get our Park Road visual out there!
· Johnny and Tracy say THANKS to the Beautification Club for all of their hard work. The club has really taken off and there is so much support from the community!
· Steve has also taken on updating the Business Directory!
o We have 170 businesses in the area- WOW
o There are 30 or more businesses that have changed since last time it was updated
o As we look ahead to Celebrate West Hartford: we are hoping to showcase the parade, offerings of the area, instead of just talking about the association
o Members are indicated in the directory with their website added to the directory
o Steve has also been spreading awareness about the business association to all of these businesses
· BUTTONS ARE BACK! We are bringing back the “I Heart Park Road” buttons
· Park Road on Parade: Kim Yarum
o Tuesday, April 30
o Tickets for sale at the theater, at Effie’s, at the door and online: http://www.parkroadct.com/park-on-parade
o Grab some friends & come over!
o Any businesses can attend & display, if there are food businesses that want to participate, let Kim know
o Cash bar, fun night!
· Celebrity Breakfast: John Paindiris
o 20th year that we are doing it!
o June 11th
Police Report: LT Mike
· Welcome to Mike Russo and Nick Sanford, the new bike cops who will be in our neighborhood and Elmwood
· If you see something, say something! Let the bike cops know or call the police
· The restructuring has been happening since Chief Riddick has been here, the bike cops are now considered patrol
o The CIT (or what is now the CIT) is back up & running: just because you may not see them, doesn’t mean they’re not there… They are out there!
o Working left & right on different cases
o People are stealing rims & tires now
· The Conard High School incident this past week was handled very well, they are very pleased with the response
· #9pmRoutine campaign is going strong
o It’s getting traction: it was shared on Wethersfield’s Facebook page as well
o Remember: LOCK YOUR CARS, these things DO happen here
o People will take anything that looks valuable
· Torch Run: June 5-June 7, comes down Farmington Avenue: Officers will pick up different legs of the run
Economic Development: Kristen Connolly
· Hair Candy Salon has opened at 361 Park Road
· Charming Nails & Spa has renovated the former Tiffany Nail Salon and is now open
· Total Fit Studio has relocated from Hartford to 274 Park Road and is officially open
· Knights Cigar Lounge has signed a lease in the former Petals & Paws space, expected opening this fall
· L.A. Vision Family Eyecare has signed a lease in the former Max & Lily space, expected opening this fall
· Julianna’s Pizzeria has replaced Hot Oven Pizza, they are now open
· Taqueria La Grande will be opening is second location in the former Los Adobes space, their first location in New Britain is very successful
· Health is Wealth Juice Bar is getting ready to open May 1st at 74 Park Road
· One Park update- Park and Prospect: Marty Kenny stated that they are still working with the state and federal government on their request for historic tax credits, which is the key to finalizing project financing
Chamber of Commerce: Kate Kobs
· Thanks to Johnny and Effie’s for the FLOW trivia night! Raised $1000 for the Bridge!
· This Tues 4/23 there is a Spring into Health & Wellness After Hours at Menla Holistic Health on Farmington Ave
· Thurs 4/25: Economic Development Luncheon at 11:30am
· Foodshare Walk Sat 4/27 at Dunkin Donuts Park
· Business After Hours: 5/9 at Beliza in the Center
· B2B Roundtable: 5/27 at Town Hall at noon
· Children Services Librarian & Vice Chair of new second hand shop at 175 Park Road
· Large, beautiful renovated space; many nearly new or new merchandise
· Open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays from 10am-4pm
o Would like to be open more but they lack the volunteers to staff the shop
o If you know anyone who would like to volunteer for 3.5 hour shifts
o They also accept donations on the days that they’re open: ring the bell at the side door
§ They will take anything except electronics; children’s close are given back to The Village
§ They sell men’s clothes as well as women’s clothes but not children’s clothes
o Very affordable prices
· They hope to march in the parade!